- This event has passed.
Disrupting the System – The Valve-Turners Direct Action Panel
Sunday, June 4 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
On October 11, five climate activists shook the North American energy industry by closing the emergency shut off valves on all five pipelines bringing Canadian tar sands oil into the US. It was an unprecedented act of non-violent direct action that shut down 15% of US crude oil imports for nearly a day.
Now, the “Valve Turners” face felony charges with sentences of up to 90 years in prison and hundreds of thousand of dollars in fines and legal fees. Come hear three of the “Valve Turners” Ken Ward, Annette Klapstein, and Emily Johnston discuss why they felt morally compelled to take this action and risk their freedom.
Learn more HERE
Also joining us, from Climate Disobediance is Marla Marcum and Jay O’Hara. We will hear from them on the crucial and intricate role that organizing and continuing to educating the public plays in the fight for environmental justice.
- Ken Ward: co-founder of U.S. PIRG, Environment America and Fund for Public Interest Research.
- Annette Klapstein: retired attorney and Valve Turner
- Emily Johnston: environmentalist and Valve Turner
- Marla Marcum: co-Founder of both Better Future Project and 350 Massachusetts
- Jay O’Hara: founder Climate Summer & co-founder Young Adult Friends Climate Working Group
Our collective commitment to nonviolent civil disobedience is the most powerful force on the planet.