- This event has passed.
Teach In: West Roxbury Lateral Pipeline
Monday, May 11 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Join Theodore Parker Church and the West Roxbury Community to learn more about the West Roxbury Lateral Pipeline.
What is the West Roxbury Lateral Pipeline? Where will it go? Will it lower our energy costs? What are the risks? Will it raise our taxes? Why are Mayor Walsh and all our elected officials concerned about it? How can a federal agency overrule our community concerns?
The Texas-based Spectra Energy Corporation is expecting to break ground on a high-pressure gas pipeline in West Roxbury. The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), a federal agency, has overruled local concerns and granted permission to Spectra to increase the capacity of the pipeline. But many people in our community are still not familiar with the route and community safety concerns. And Mayor Marty Walsh has requested a rehearing with FERC citing concerns about the pipeline’s route and proximity to the quarry. Come join your neighbors and elected officials to learn more.
Below are the attending speakers and invited elected officials!
- Kendra PeloJoaquin, Moderator, co-chairs the Religious Exploration committee at Theodore Parker Church and works as a pedogista (teacher coach) at Peabody Terrace Children’s Center
- Rev. Anne Bancroft, pastor of Theodore Parker Church in West Roxbury
- Rachel Poliner, Steering Committee, West Roxbury Saves Energy, educator and West Roxbury resident
- Andrea Carlson, member, Stop the West Roxbury Lateral (SWRL), CEO of Sophity, a software solutions company, and West Roxbury resident
- Dr. Richard Clapp, epidemiologist and both an Emeritus Professor of Environmental Health at Boston University School of Public Health and an Adjunct Professor at the University of Massachusetts Lowell.
- Fran Cummings, Vice President of Peregrine Energy Group, an energy consulting company with a focus on energy efficiency and a unique expertise in energy data visualization